The office of a Consul is termed a Consulate, and is usually subordinate to the state's main

representation in that foreign country, usually an Embassy, or High Commission between
Commonwealth countries, in the capital city of the host state. Like the term embassy, the word
consulate may refer not only to the office of consul, but also to the building occupied by the
consul and his or her staff. In capital cities, the consulate may share the premises with the
embassy itself.

A consul of higher rank is termed a consul-general, and his or her office a consulate-general.
He or she typically has one or several Deputy Consuls-General, Consuls, Vice-Consuls and Consular
Agents working under the consul-general. Consulates-general need not have their offices in the
capital city, but rather could have then in the most important/appropriate cities in terms of
bilateral relations (commerce, travel, etc.). In the United States, for example, most countries
have a consulate-general