For those who are building and residing in Cowford and the surrounding environs, I thought I might list a few titles about the history of the area which might prove to be of interest or of use. This list is intended solely as a jumping off point and is by no means comprehensive.
- Old Hickory's Town: An Illustrated History of Jacksonville by James Robertson Ward. Old Hickory's Town, Inc. 1985.
- History of Jacksonville, Florida and Vicinity, 1513-1924 by T. Frederick Davis, San Marco Bookstore, 1990. (Orig. copyright 1925.)
- The City Makers by Richard A. Martin. Convention Press, Inc., 1972.
- The Great Fire of 1901 by Bill Foley and Wayne W. Wood. The Jacksonville Historical Society, 2001.
- Jacksonville After the Fire, 1901-1919 by James B. Crooks. University of North Florida Press, c1991.
- Steamboating on the St. Johns: Some Travel Accounts and Various Steamboat Materials by Edward A. Mueller. South Brevard Historical Society, c1980.
- Rails 'Neath the Palms by Robert W. Mann. Darwin Publications, c1983.
- Aviaton's Earliest Years in Jacksonville, 1878-1935 by John P. Ingle, Jr. The Jacksonville Historical Society, 1977.
- Parade of Memories: A History of Clay County, Florida by Arch Blakey. Drummond Press, 1976. Reprinted with additional chapter 1995.
- Images of America: Clay County by Kevn S. Hooper. Arcadia Publishing, 2004.